This task was assigned to me by Her Serene Highness, the Dowager Princess of An Tir, Janeltis Karaine Starfollower in the year before she left on her last Journey. She said something along the lines of, “There aren’t enough good period toys. I want to do something about it, but I’m not going to have enough time, so you’re going to do this for me!” My response was, “Yes, your Highness!”
I had been fascinated with dolls and dollhouses from the time I was very young, and in doing research on some of my own inherited dolls, had learned quite a lot about the history… well, that has translated into a journey of discovery that’s been going on for most of 50 years. Janeltis’ requirement spurred me to do a lot more work on this and it’s only in ASXLIX (2014-15) that I’m finally starting to see results.
Her Serene Highness wanted not just the history, but for me to turn the historical bits into usable toys. There is going to be a page of mundanely available toys that are period as part of this, as well as instructions on how to make your own.
Janeltis had asked me to do a Complete Anachronist as proof of the task being accomplished. At the time there was not the vehicle that we have now in the Net. It’s still on my radar to complete this, but I’m going to post the research here to make it usable more quickly.
In February of ASXLIX (2014-15) I presented a short version of a Toys Workshop in Three Mountains and then a full-length in April at the Bar Gemels Tourney in Terra Pomaria.
I have since taught the balls portion of the class several times, as well as presenting my findings in the Arts & Sciences Championship in ASIL. I also presented the class in a 2 hour format at Hocktide ASL. This is the class handout that I use.
The sub-pages for this task are:
- Balls – https://anjasquest.wordpress.com/balls/
- Dolls – under construction but…. http://wp.me/P64CxW-3i
- Active play toys – under construction – https://anjasquest.wordpress.com/tasks/active-play-toys/
- Pretend play toys – under construction – http://wp.me/P64CxW-8t
- War and Military Toys – under construction – https://anjasquest.wordpress.com/tasks/war-and-military-toys/
- Hobby-Horses and Scopperels
- Boats – under construction –
- Toy Figures – under construction –
- Animals – under construction –
- Rolling toys – under construction –
- Noisemakers & Whistles – under construction – https://anjasquest.wordpress.com/tasks/noisy-toys/
- Other Pastimes – under construction –
- Mundanely available period toys, or How To Fake It! – http://wp.me/P64CxW-3k
- Games are not covered, except with some equipment….
Most of these pages are not yet “live”.
Problems with documentation and finding sources – This section is still notes!
- Manuscript/Portraits – not always real
- Literary sources – but how were they made and what did they look like?
- Inventories – Usually only for the nobility until late period and who inventories toys?
Extant examples – where to find – Places to Check
- Portrait Books
- Illuminated Manuscripts
- Wikipedia & Wikimedia Commons
At right about the same time as I was assigned this task, Her Serene Highness presented my children with a toy, (picture on the left). They loved it and played with it, but it spent a lot of time on the shelf because they were given it by the “pretty lady” and they wanted to keep it nice. All of them got to meet her, even my youngest, who was put in her arms at 12 days old at her last 12th Night. They were in awe of her and she was so sweet to them.
In many ways this page is in her honor.
In ministerio autem Somnium!
Page created and published 4/20/15
Last update 5/19/16